Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Streams of Data and Conciousness

Its an interesting phenomenon that as the net is getting exponentially bigger, it is also becoming more personal. Everyone has their own little corner of the net to call their own these days whether it be a Facebook page, twitter feed, or blog-roll. Some of us technophiles have all three and more. Lots of theories exist that try to explain why we use these things but most of them boil down to us wanting wanting to be in charge and be thought of well. I suspect that is why blogs are so popular.

It took me forever to start this blog and even longer to start writing in it because I didn't really feel like what I had to say was any more important than anybody else. Entirely too many years in academia have said that your personal opinions don't matter if they aren't backed up by someone else who has already been published in standard APA citation. I'd like to extend my thanks to my good friend Mike for making me realize that all the scholarly giants, media-savvy marketers, and cults of personality all had to start writing somewhere.

Subsequent posts will be filled with more crunchy info and I will try my best to not end up like so many other abandoned blogs out there in the intertubes. I hope to use this blog as way to sound off on what I think and do, a time honored blogger tradition. But I also hope to use the motivation to write something substantial as a way to help educate myself more on media, technology, marketing, entertainment, and all the other 0's and 1's that make up popular culture.

1 comment: