Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The Year We Made Contact

Happy 2010 blogosphere. I'd like to take this chance to look back at some of my favorite GiT posts from 2009...oh right there's only three. I hope everyone's holidays were most excellent. My own were spent eating entirely too much, drinking entirely too little, and spending just the right amount of time with my two families.

To my continuing shame I do not yet have a smart phone. I don't care for AT&T's service but even if I did both an iPhone and a Droid are beyond my current means to afford. The real irony of going to grad school to study how people use technology is that I can't afford to use any of my own. Google recently announced a phone of their own and maybe by the time its available through Verizon I'll be able to afford it.

One (of many) interesting things Faris mentioned when he so kindly answered my questions is that he uses his blog for personal thoughts and Twitter to share links. That got me thinking about what I use my own social outlets for. There's a Communication theory called Uses and Gratifications which claims we choose what media to use based on how it best fulfills out needs which seems to apply here. My typical divide seems to be Facebook for personal information, Twitter to share interesting links, and this blog to faff about with whatever is on my mind. I notice that a number of my friends will simply cross post their statuses to both Facebook and Twitter. So I wonder, How do you, gentle readers (all three of you), use your various social nets?

1 comment:

  1. I don't have twitter, I use facebook to stalk, and I use my blog (entirely too frequently) to chronicle/share our house updates.

    ReplyDelete