Tuesday, February 9, 2010

A Commercial Holiday

While only recently have I begun "following" football I've always liked to watch the Super Bowl both for the pageantry of this uniquely American spectacle and for the commercials. This years crop was fairly hit or miss. I can only imagine how much money was invested by the beer companies this year though all their ads seemed to boil down to "find beer; begin party."

There was also far too many unattractive people in underwear (two was two too many) though I wouldn't be any sort of Grad Student if I didn't immediately check into the Free Pants thing.

On that note: I have a birthday coming up next Wednesday so I might have to look into that Denny's breakfast dealie. Haven't been to one in ages but a free meal seems like a good reason to go back. So hey, mission accomplished gentlemen.

The standout favorites for amusement value were the Doritos commercials, especially the one with the weight room and the Doritos samurai armor. Of course I don't eat Doritos and thats certainly not going to get me started.

Whatever you think of government spending, the Census commercial was weak and probably a waste of money. As a stats loving guy I am all for promoting the census but jeez they could have done so much better.

Little bit of misogyny going on with the Dodge commercial. Will Wheton said it best on Twitter: "Buy Dodge, because that bitch you call a wife makes you put the seat down." Little bit of castration going on with the portable TV commercial and the guy who gets dragged shopping during the Super Bowl.

Go Daddy is still annoying. the Betty White commercial was funny but I've already forgotten just what product they were pushing so that's a failure. I'm not touching the Focus on the Family issue but to say that taking one's mom down with a flying tackle was a strange visual message to send. I was already going to see The Last Airbender and I am absolutely going to see Prince of Persia.

And that's all I can remember at top of mind without looking back at the commercial lists so obviously all the rest failed to get my attention.

(I've decided to move this What I Learned experiment to Twitter, seems like a better place to share links and info. I'll stick to full length posts here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment